Pages

Tuesday 13 November 2018

My week @ Facebook



If you follow me on Instagram you would know (because I have been shamelessly and relentlessly posting my lunches and office space on my stories) I started at Facebook. It's been a little over a week here and as of today I can say this place is definitely my dream place to work.

The open spaces, superb cityscape, different buffet menus for all 3 meals every day, massage chairs, arcades, amenities, micro-kitchens are definite perks. But these aside.... the spam of quotes on the walls everywhere are super empowering. And they aren't just there for the sake of it. I see people here living and acting on the culture and the values which define the organisation.

"Nothing at Facebook is someone else's problem"- every single person I've met so far answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns to the best of their abilities- from work related questions to helping me fix up the treadmill so i could use it. Like you can see that they really take it upon themselves to provide the best solution they can offer, and that is something really heartwarming and refreshing.

What amazes me is how open people are. It all sounds and seems too good to be true- everyone is so positive, constructive and open to everything. People smile and greet you along the corridors. Hours are flexible as long as you take ownership of what you do. Dress however you like and come to work in your most authentic self- this means me in my activewear or whatever hair colour i want, just so long as i am comfortable.

And all these things just mean so much to me. The fact that everyone acknowledges that everybody is different, and embraces this instead of getting people to fit into a certain culture or way of working. Another quote reads "We are a culture of cultures", and I really love that. Everyone is moving so fast and creating impact and it is so refreshing to be in an environment with a flat hierarchy where every individual brings something to the table.

With a company and its people who really give the best to its employees and to external stakeholders, it makes me so motivated and inspired and EXCITED to dive right in and start work!! (We're having training now; Im in a development program which I count myself super lucky to be in because 1) I dont think FB has many (if any) "fresh" grad roles? Like Im the youngest person I know now there; and 2) I didnt apply for this, i just got a call one day!)

All i can say is that things are really taking a turn for me. This year started off and continued on to be one of the worst years. But im now seeing everything in my life taking a drastic turn- I got a cat i love and look forward to coming home to every day, I (finally) quit my job and landed myself in this amazing opportunity where I'm happy and excited, other smaller scale but noteworthy events include being a hair model for the first time and cutting my hair to the shortest it's ever been, and... next HUGE change coming in 3 weeks ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment